Vertigo

Although Citizen Kane is undeniably one of the greatest movies of all time, I can understand how critics and scholars can rank Vertigo as number one on the “50 Greatest Films of All Time” list. After 50 years of Citizen Kane enjoying the spotlight, it was finally replaced by the honorable Vertigo. Many film-fanatics of this generation do not consider Vertigo one of Hitchcock’s most influential films, but I would have to disagree. Although the movie may have some more adult-centered themes that may not appeal to younger audiences, I can completely see how older generations are able to relate with the concepts portrayed in Vertigo. The film relies heavy on the idea of loss, which only someone who has experienced loss can understand. However, some critics do not agree with the idea of dominance that is portrayed throughout the film. Laura Mulvey, for example, is one of those critics. As a strong feminist, Mulvey believes that the voyeurism depicted throughout the film is symbolic of male objectification of women. Although this appears to be true in this particular film, I disagree with her belief that men are the only ones guilty of objectification. Both men and women can be found guilty of objective voyeurism, and although Vertigo was admittedly centered around male dominance, men are not the only ones capable of objectification.