Vertigo

Alfred Hitchcock’s film Vertigo is ranked number one on the list of the “50 Greatest Films of All Time,” as I believe it deserves to be.  Hitchcock planned the entire film out, making  very intentional decisions about how to put the movie together.  Overall, from the opening credits to the closing, the film was affective.  The camera shots are well put together, especially the ones that portray Scottie’s acrophobia to the audience.  Just as we are made to feel and understand Scottie’s fear of heights, we also feel uncomfortable like Judy when Scottie is changing her.  In addition to the good camera technique and making the audience connect to the characters, the storyline, while somewhat slow at times, I found to be very intriguing. I didn’t expect many of the events that took place throughout the movie, which kept me alert and eager to find out how the movie was going to conclude.  Lastly, the film is still enjoyable after a second viewing, because you can pick up on cinematographic and plot details that you originally missed, making you understand even more why Vertigo has received so much praise.