Vertigo

While The British Film Institute ranked Vertigo as being the best film of all time, I had a different opinion. My opinion was similar to those that were published in 1958 after the release of the film in that I felt indifferently about it, and it really didn’t have much of an impact on me, or on many of my classmates it seems. The New York Times review of Vertigo didn’t offer much praise and described it as a typical Hitchcock melodrama, performed in the exact way you would expect a Hitchcock film to be (Crowther). If this film truly deserved to be ranked at the top, I feel as if it would have been necessary to have something new and uncommon for Hitchcock that would have made it unique. Overall, I found the film to be rather depressing with very few uplifting scenes- mainly ones with Midge who isn’t even present for most of the film. The relationship between Scottie and Judy was especially sad, and I even found it hard to watch. Despite Scottie having gone through the things he went through, I still find him unsympathetic. His behavior towards Judy was very cruel, and he barely even acknowledged her existence until she transformed to be an exact copy of Madeline. Scottie would barely even touch Judy until every last detail of the transformation was correct. Furthermore, it was very heartbreaking that Judy would have agreed to anything to get Scottie to love her back; she even asked him at one point if he would love her if she did everything be insisted upon. Finally, I thought the ending was rushed and upsetting. In my opinion, she jumped because she knew that either she live her life with someone who would never love her or end it at that moment. The fact that she believed she had no better options ended the movie on a depressing note.

This picture captures Judy and Scottie’s relationship; she is helplessly trying to do anything to get him to love her while the past still consumes him.