Views on Vertigo

Once a decade, the British Film Institute conducts a poll of critics, distributors, programmers, and scholars to determine the “50 Greatest Films of All Time.” This poll was conducted in the fall of 2012 and after Citizen Kane had enjoyed a fifty-year reign at the top spot, the Welles masterpiece was replaced by that of Hitchcock.

While such rankings may not reflect opinions of a rising generation of film fans, how would you support such a ranking or argue for alternative choices. You may support your opinions on the impact of the film, or details of the film itself. You are encouraged to reference opinion (at the time of the film’s initial release or any time since) of a critic, director, or scholar that you feel supports your observations.

Comments (with images if you choose) should be posted under the “Views on Vertigo” category and are due by 5:00 on Friday, November 7th.

One thought on “Views on Vertigo

1. marbut

I really liked Vertigo. The acting and the directing were amazing. I can see why scholars name this one of the most influential films of all time. I think the shots that Hitchcock used were fantastic. I like how it looked when Scottie was hanging on for dear life. I also loved the scene at the end when he seems to overcome his vertigo and follow Madeline/Judy up the tower. This film is the most personal to Hitchcock because of the way Scottie controls Judy and the way he tries to make her into Madeline. This film also takes a look into the theory of voyeurism and gaze. Laura Mulvey is a strong feminist who is not a particular fan of Hitchcock’s work. She observes Vertigo and thinks that when Scottie stalks Madeline/Judy that he is objectifying her. Mulvey thinks that men always look at women in a dirty way and the women are always objectified. I do not agree with Mulvey’s statements. A woman could just as easily gaze at a man in a way that objectifies him. I somewhat agree with Mulvey, but only to a degree. I think men can look at women in a way that objectifies them (pornography), but women also have the power to do this as well. I don’t think women are as innocent as Mulvey makes them out to be. They aren’t always the victim.