John Baldessari: Tetrad Series

John Baldessari’s Tetrad Series was created in 1999.  It is described as a series of works that depicts four devices of expression by combining moving pictures (stills from North by Northwest), fragments of Goya’s paintings and prints, words rearranged from The Book of Disquiet by Fernando Pessoa, and images of everyday objects.  In the article “Hitch and Run Tactics” it is explained that “Baldessari doesn’t so much make connections as engineer collisions,” which I agree to be true since I cannot make out any sensible connections.  Artist Mark Kotsabi noted that “Tetrad” can be annogrammed to “art det”, to suggest that he is giving back to the art that inspired him.

“Necessary Facts” combines a still of Roger O. Thornhill and Eve Kendall climbing along Mt. Rushmore, Goya’s painting The Forge, and a solid white plate.

“Practical Vision” combines a still of Roger O. Thornhill climbing out of a window, Goya’s painting A caza de dientes, and a solid black umbrella.

“What Was Seen” combines a still of Roger O. Thornhill about to fall, Goya’s painting All Will Fall, and a solid red button down shirt.

After some research I was able to find the full Goya paintings these snippets are from.  The majority of Goya’s paintings are dark and disturbing, which I thought was interesting how they were paired with pictures from Hitchcock’s North by Northwest.

The Forge

The Forge

All Will Fall

A caza de dientes

A caza de dientes