“Rear Window” qualities in “Disturbia”

After viewing Rear Window, I noticed it was very similar to the movie Disturbia. Disturbia takes almost the same story plot, except that this time the main character, Shia LaBeouf, is on house arrest. Like in Rear Window, LaBeouf starts looking into his neighbors houses watching them do all sorts of things, and, like the character played by James Stewart in Rear Window, will see something he did not expect to see.

Shia LaBeouf with his binoculars spying on his neighbors in Disturbia

James Stewart using his camera to spy on his neighbors.

There is also, of course, the beautiful woman. Grace Kelly seems to be more under appreciated in Rear Window, the relationship is more typical of teenage relationships these days in Disturbia.

The relationship in Disturbia

Rear Window - James Stewart and Grace Kelly

The relationship in Rear Window

In both of the movies, a murder was seen through this secretive creeping into neighbors windows. This was the main plot point in both of the movies and also what created the suspense.

Murderer in Disturbia

Murderer in Disturbia

Murderer in Rear Window

Murderer in Rear Window

Disturbia was obviously inspired by Rear Window. This to me is important because it shows how HItchcock’s original ideas were genius and how we can change his ideas to better fit the likes of people today. Rear Window is my favorite Alfred Hitchcock movie, but Disturbia was definitely more interesting of a movie to watch mainly because of the modern technology.

3 thoughts on ““Rear Window” qualities in “Disturbia”

1. Richard Blaney

After watching Rear window, I noticed some of the exact same ideas and plot line in Disturbia. In my opinion I do not exactly see this as homage, but more along the lines of stealing. Disturbia is literally a modern remake of the film Rear Window, which is perfectly okay if proper credit is given to Hitchcock which it was not. This film takes on exact concepts that Rear Window has. I read an article that said that was almost a lawsuit over this movie for basically plagiarism. Perfectly for remakes, but not recognizing Hitchcock as the source for this movie was disappointing.

2. akumor

I never been a fan of scary movies, but Disturbia managed to fascinate me and catch my interest. The reason I was able to like the movie so much was because of the suspenseful feel of most of the movie, and the physical attachment you have to the main character in Disturbia because of the way the movie is filmed. You basically only see what Shia’s character see’s. I never noticed the commonality between the two films before and I am glad you pointed it out.

3. Pamela

This surprised me quite a bit. The comparisons are so similar, it’s surprising that nobody had picked up on it before. I found it interesting that the film found a way to communicate the “voyeur” theme so effectively without just copying the scenario in Rear Window. I also like that both Jimmy Stewart’s and Shia LaBeouf’s characters cross the line a little into the criminal, anti-hero territory.