Hitchcockian References

There is one animated television show that I know has multiple Hitchcock references. I have been watching The Simpsons since I was very little and I never realized how much Hitchcock culture I was being introduced to, until this year. After watching movies like Strangers on a Train, Psycho, Rear Window, The Birds, Spellbound, and many more of Hitchcock’s works. When watching Strangers on a Train I caught the reference from The Simpsons when the statement “criss cross” came into play. It automatically reminded me of Bart Simpson saying “Criss cross” to his sister Lisa.

Bart Simpson “Criss Cross”

There are actually references to 8 different Hitchcock works. The majority of the references are from Strangers on a Train. What I thought was cool about this episode (which I went back and watched after watching Strangers on a Train) is how they not only made references to Hitchcock’s movies, they also snuck Hitchcock in himself.

Hitchcock’s cameo in the Simpsons episode Treehouse of Horror XX

Hitchcock’s real cameo from North by Northwest

Reference to Hitchcock’s silhouette from Hitchcock Presents

To see more references to Hitchcock’s films in the Simpsons Treehouse of Horror XX

And to see a list of other Simpsons episodes that contain Hitchcock references and or specific films that the Simpsons reference to: http://www.hitchcockwiki.com/wiki/Category:Hitchcock_references_in_The_Simpsons

Another popular animated TV show that makes references to a Hitchcock film is Family Guy. There is actually an episode that is a spinoff of North by Northwest. It copies a lot of the visual shots from the film and even the title is “North by North Quahog”

Here are some of the images that match the original film:

Screen Shot 2014-04-05 at 3.03.33 PM

for more about this episode: http://www.hitchcockwiki.com/wiki/Family_Guy:_North_by_North_Quahog

For  even more homages outside of the animated TV series: http://www.hitchcockwiki.com/wiki/Spoofs,_Parodies_and_Homages_of_Hitchcock_Films

Bonus: I really enjoyed this Simpsons episode where Bart is stuck in a cast, like LB Jefferies in Rear Window. Bart breaks his leg at the peak of summer and is stuck in bed while everyone else plays in the new Simpson pool. To keep himself occupied he uses his sister’s telescope to take a look around Springfield. We even catch a glimpse of Jefferies himself!

Screen Shot 2014-04-05 at 3.07.42 PM

All images and links thanks to The Alfred Hitchcock Wiki 

1 thought on “Hitchcockian References

1. meghanking

I think it’s interesting how after watching several of Hitchcock’s films and understanding his style, we finally pick up on all the references made to him and his work. Obviously watching The Simpsons and Family Guy before this class I would not have gotten any of the references, but now the scenes in the show take on a whole new meaning. It’s not just a guy getting onto a bus, not just Peter getting chased by a plane, and not just Bart watching Springfield; there’s more depth than that after you understand the reference. I think it also shows you how even though shows like these are deemed for the younger generation, that’s not the only generation that can enjoy them; there’s different levels of entertainment for everyone!