Is Vertigo the Greatest Film?

Vertigo topped the list of the “50 Greatest Films of All Times” with flying colors. I would personally disagree with this statement, but I can see how this movie was very dynamic for this time period.

In 1958, Bosley Crowther wrote for The New York Times raving about the film and how the “secret is so clever, even though it is devilishly far-fetched” and how that is what was most intriguing about the film. This is something I would have to agree with. This  really kept me on edge throughout the film, wondering if Scottie would find out who Judy really was and what she had done.

Another thing I would completely agree with that Crowther brings up is the amazing casting. “Mr. Stewart, as usual, manages to act awfully tense in a casual way, and Miss Novak is really quite amazing in—well, here is a bit of a hint—dual roles” as Crowther put it. In my opinion, James Stewart and Kim Novak were the perfect actors to play these roles. With Novak’s inexperience, she was able to be more of a reserved character as Madeleine and then was able to shock us as Judy. James Stewart is extremely attractive and always is great at playing a role with secretive watching.

Scottie watching Madeleine

Do I think this is the best movie of Hitchcock’s I have ever seen? No. If I had to choose a film of his that I thought would top this list, of the one’s I’ve seen, it would have to be Psycho. I think Psycho really set the standards for films today. There was non-stop suspense and something that I really enjoyed was the fact that the audience did not know much. In other films, the audience knows things that the characters in the movies do not know. In Psycho we almost feel as if we are part of that film because that difference does not exist.

Norman Bates at the ending of Psycho

References from http://www.nytimes.com/movie/review?res=9905EEDD1031E73BBC4151DFB3668383649EDE